Thursday, July 14, 2011

Why is Twitter's Logo is a Bird??? Answer: Because #Twitter'sfortheBirds!

Oh Twitter.

Let me start off by saying I fully believe in the old saying of, "to each his own". People have differing views on many things, and they are more then entitled to have them. Obviously the majority of my generation believes Twitter is the greatest thing since Justin Beiber and fixed-gear bicycles, but I'm not convinced. I have no doubt that Twitter can offer an additional way to sharing important information, but I think the way it is used by most is nothing more then people being obsessed with knowing everything about everyone and believing everyone wants to know the same about them.

For example, I just looked at the last post by a friend of my that read: "New Coach Purse, soooo Cute!". Really? Why would you POSSIBLY think I, or anyone else would want or need to know that!?! That's not something you go out of your way to tell everyone, that's something that may pop up in conversation. You know, conversation... the act of TALKING TO PEOPLE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THEY'RE UP TO!?
I could see posting something such as, "Just got engaged!!!" or "Just had baby!!". But then again, aren't those things important enough that the people you really want to tell, you tell by phone???


This video pretty much sums up my view on Twitter.

I could rant for days about my distaste for Twitter, but the real point is to determine if it could help in the classroom. After reading the articles regarding the ways Twitter can be used in the classroom, my overall consensus is it doe not belong in the classroom, but could be helpful for teachers on a professional level.

RESPONSE TO THE ARTICLES

Here's my reasons for it not belonging in the classroom:
  • It offers another distraction for the students
    • Although it can be used for sharing photos, questions, articles, etc., I think we all can agree that students won't just be using it for that. They'll more then likely be looking to see what their girlfriend/boyfriend had for breakfast.
    • Just look at the picture in the "Tweacher" article. The boy on the right looks more fascinated at using a cell phone in class then what the teacher is saying. 
  • Encourages student's thinking that everything should be brought to them.
    • Is it too hard for students to send/ read email or paper assignments? I think using Twitter and other social media sites for spreading information gets kids in the mindset that "oh, if it's important they'll get it to me on Twitter", therefore students take less responsibility for checking on assignments and looking for information they need. When they get a job, I can assure you not everything they need to complete their work can be found on Twitter, they're actually going to have to LOOK for the information, or better yet ASK!
  • Discourages social interaction between teachers and students,  and students with other students.
    • What happen to the old "raising of the hand"? If you have a question, why not ask it aloud?? Maybe another student has the same question but doesn't want to ask it aloud and they miss it on Twitter? 
    • What happened to actually TALKING to the person next to you? Limiting these interactions more so then they already are by the use of Facebook, Instant Messaging, MySpace , etc. is going to lead to a generation of socially awkward adults. Signs area already starting to emerge.
Ways in which it can help teachers:
  • Great way to track new trends or techniques in teaching with little digging.
    • Teachers a busy enough, so finding time to research new trends or techniques  is limited. Twitter offers a way to keep tabs on certain research organizations or fellow teachers to see what is new (technique/trend wise), what is working, or what to avoid. 
    • Instead of teachers going to find this information, it is coming to them. Any new breaking information will appear to them with no effort.

All-in-all, I believe Twitter CAN serve a purpose, but 9 people out of 10 use it for the wrong one. I believe that Twitter should be used by teachers for professional reasons, but not instructional reasons.

Good luck and sweet Tweets.



2 comments:

  1. TWITTER!

    I love that video. That was totally my perception on twitter, and it is still a very valid stance. But I do agree that the benefits currently seem to be at the teacher level as opposed to the student level. If I have a hard enough time focusing with all the extraneous information tweeting past me, how can I expect high school students to not get sidetracked? I also liked your comment about potential filtering and not looking beyond the tweet feeds. For our generation, I think it was easy for us to just read the random headlines on yahoo or msn's homepage, and miss out on all the other important things going on in the world. With this generation, they are being overloaded with immense amounts of pointless information, so it might be even harder for them to filter than it was for us. We should just go back to keywords on AOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @C Note Keywords on AOL? Boy, those were the days. Dial-up all the way!

    One thought on Twitter (or other discussion tools in the classroom) is to consider the times when you have one or two kids up in the front of the room and 25 "listening" (aka passing notes, putting their heaads down, etc.). What if, instead, they were actively documenting their engagement via Twitter, discussion boards, etc.? Would that help with accountability? Classroom management?

    Just a thought ... you are, of course, under no obligation to drink the Twitter-in-the-classroom Kool-Aid. :)

    ReplyDelete