Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ron Swanson's View on Technology in the Classroom

(For those of you who do not watch "Parks and Recreation", please watch the link below before continuing for true understanding.) 



I'm a simple man. I believe that every man needs three "guys" in their life: Their "car guy", their "gun guy", and their "hair guy". Pretty straight forward stuff. But nowadays with all these funky computer things, seems like a man can't survive without a "computer guy". Three good "guys" were hard enough to find, adding a fourth just clutters up the whole mess. I mean heck, I can't even navigate this blogging site without callin' my computer guy for help. Click here, click there... it's just one big confusing mess.

So the idea of using these things in the classroom just make my mind spin. Kids nowadays know more about computers then most adults, which poses a weakness to any teacher incorporating them in their instruction. That is why to effectively use these devices to maximize educational situations, one must train... like they are preparing for war. Any slip in attention or control and the children will go from researching "America the Greatest", to fiddling around on Headbook, Tweeter, or MyRoom. 

Sure, technology can be used for good. Implementing technology in the classroom can offer new modes of educating students. Examples include: 
  • Communicating the vital importance of properly field dressing a deer by video
  • Finding where to go for the best "High and Tight" haircut on the internet
  • And using blogging to share tips on wood working with others
But just like guns, the song "We are Family", and the phrase "that's what she said", technology must be used with discretion and closely monitored. The proper balance of technology and effective teaching skills is vital to the optimization of true learning.  Overuse of either may result in students falling asleep, or worse yet, students beginning to think The Black Eyed Peas are actual musicians. The responsibility for preventing such tragedies as these are in the teacher's hands, and should be taken seriously. 

God Bless America.


9 comments:

  1. a. You're funny.
    b. I can never find a good instructional video on field dressing a deer. it's the proverbial thorn in my side.
    c. I also worry that my students will know more about technology than I do or that I will use it ineffectively. I completely agree that training is imperative--I think that is a component that has been overlooked in many teacher-ed. programs. I am excited about this class because I think it will show some practical ways to incorporate technology--instead of just giving us the whole, "use technology" deal without any actual application.
    d. The Black Eyed Peas: http://www.hulu.com/watch/2360/saturday-night-live-black-eyed-peas-ad

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I have to question your hair guy. On the one hand, hair is the most superficial thing in the world. It's an example of our self-indulgence. On the other hand, it represents our identity to society. It shows how clean you are, the kind of fashion you follow, and in some cases what your personality is like. I think technology works the same way. In a sense technology is superficial, but it is also an important in the social and professional world. Therefore, it seems like we need this technology in the classroom and we need the computer guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post and would have to agree with your opinion that technology in the classroom must be used correctly and must be tightly monitored. It can and does offer a lot of good things (like knowing how to field dress a deer) but it also can be a HUGE distraction for students. Even as a graduate student I sometimes have to fight the urge to check my email during class. I can only imagine the will power it would take for 13 and 14 year olds to resist that temptation. I also concur that it is a bit daunting to think of me attempting to manage technology in front of a classroom of students who could do on a computer what takes me 5 minutes, in half that time. We shall see.
    I must also add, that I agree with everything Ron Swanson says... what a clever man, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you Kyle. Even your post is too high-tech for my standards with a video and all. There is a lot of conscious effort required to get up to speed if you want to involve technology in an effective manner. But if used correctly, there are endless options for learning. Like you used with youtube, there are always to share information or thoughts in a different manner, and if that is what gets through to students, we should find a way to incorporate it. Additionally, I enjoy all of your pop culture references.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Headbook, Tweeter, or MyRoom nice puns! I definitely agree, if not used correctly, the attention spans for students are extremely small. Technology definitely allows us to maximize the way we educate students because it provides an opportunity to to build trust and respect with students while engaging them through the facilitation of their learning. Loved the link, it was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So clever, kyle! I think the challenge to find that balance with technology in the classroom. On one hand, you have students expecting some sort of technology in the classroom because that is all they have grown up with and on the other hand, once you introduce technology in the classroom you run the risk of it being more of a waste of time rather than an actual aid. How do we find that balance? Hopefully, this class will help to lead us in the right direction...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, The Black Eyed Peas were a legit act. In the late 90s and early 2000s, they were known for their loyalty to hip-hop culture. "Karma" and "Joints and Jam" were playlist staples for me. Then, lo and behold, 2003's "Where is the Love?" marked the beginning of the end. The Peas teamed up with Justin Timberlake (as well as Britney Spears, but she was edited out), which gave them mainstream success. Later that year, their "Elephunk" album featured a new member: Fergie. Things have been horrible ever since.

    I think you should know that I confirmed most of this information through Google. This is the new face of education. If our children can be convinced that TBEP are true musicians within a matter of seconds, we have a helluva job to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off, excellent usage of Ron Swanson!

    I definitely see your point about feeling as though technology can be seen as a teacher weakness, because, let's face it, in the ever changing face of technology, students today are often more tuned into these and more easily able to adapt. I think that is a reason that many teachers shy away from using newer forms and technology and sticking with more traditional forms (like overheads and tv/vcr combos). In technology, as in most things in life, moderation is key.

    ReplyDelete