Sunday, July 17, 2011

Ok.. So Twitter May Not be AS Worthless As I Originally Thought....


       After Fridays class on the uses of Twitter, I've concluded that Twitter is less like a social media site, and more like a weapon: In the right hands, Twitter can be used for good. But in the wrong hands... we're all screwed. Constant tweets that begin with "Dear (insert inanimate object here)...", updates containing no pertinent or even relevant information, and ultimately leading to the loss of friends.

But back to the "good" things Twitter can provide. Before Friday's class I had no idea the wealth of information and links people post on Twitter, let alone about teaching! I always viewed Twitter as more of a reaching out website, as opposed to a receiving website. Once setup though, Twitter can bring news, research, answers, and advise to the user, as opposed to the user having to go find it.

So to keep it concise, and to save my ego from the painstaking tasking of admitting I wasn't COMPLETELY right, I will say this: I MAY use Twitter for keeping up on trends in my subject field, but I will NOT use it to let everyone I'm clipping my toenails. Which I am not right now.....ish.

3 comments:

  1. Oy. So many blog posts tonight ahve a title similar to yours! Glad it wasn't as awful as it could been. And I am ignoring the toenail part of your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it does seem to be an interesting tool for educators. I wonder if it will be trending for a long time. I don't want to invest my time and energy into it because I know how it has consumed my friends' lives. Perhaps we shouldn't use Twitter like Shaq did, but I think there is space for us to utilize it well.

    The hashtags are a useful way for us to focus on posts that do with what the hashtag are about, thus bringing order into the chaos that is Twitter.

    At this point, I do not see myself using Twitter a ton until I reach the breaking point, like what Facebook did to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world is changing Kyle, and we better get on board. No more AOL dial-up and keywords, this is that platform for kids these days. And when we loved stupid chat rooms when we were 12, people were actually productive through dial-up. So the same applies here. Kids are tweeting up storms, but there are people using it for good too. Let us join in on the fun.

    ReplyDelete